What time(s) of day do y’all write?

• What time(s) of day do y’all write?

Posted by Graciela Sills on January 5, 2022 at 5:02 pm

I’m curious if other writers prefer to keep certain hours, or if y’all just write whenever inspiration happens to strike.

Glenn Stok replied 2 years, 3 months ago 9 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Melissa Powers

January 5, 2022 at 5:35 pm

Hi Graciela! That’s a good question. I typically write late at night, after my work shift. It’s a good way for me to unwind from the day and it’s usually when inspiration hits.

• Graciela Sills

January 6, 2022 at 12:52 am

Yay, a fellow night owl! I find there are (usually) fewer distractions at night. Of course, I’m still quite capable of distracting myself with wiki walks and various Internet rabbit holes, but at least I’m unlikely to have someone else interrupt me.

• Melissa Powers

January 6, 2022 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, the quiet of the house makes it far easier to focus on writing. However, sometimes I do need some kind of background noise, usually tv. That can be a distraction all it’s own. But it works for me, most of time, when I’m writing.

• Gabrielle Mecherkany

January 6, 2022 at 5:10 pm

I write at night too! I think it’s because I have the most collected thoughts after a long day. Sometimes I’ll start writing mid day if the mood strikes lol

• Lana

January 7, 2022 at 1:14 pm

For me I noticed my best work comes out between 11pm and 4am. It seems to be where I feel the most inspired, as I do love the night and the darkness. My stories tend to be a bit darker, so it always helps. Especially setting the mood. A well enough lit room, candles, window open is my favorite. Though I do not get to do as often as I like.

• Ryan Saladino

January 7, 2022 at 11:01 pm

I agree! This is usually around the time I get writing done also. Much more peaceful and pensive at night, kind of helps you think. I usually open my window too, but it’s been a little too cold for that lately.

• Lana

January 8, 2022 at 1:38 am

Sometimes the cold can be nice, depending on your work.

• TzeLin Sam

Organizer
    January 7, 2022 at 10:28 pm

I usually write anywhere between mid afternoon to evening. I love music but I need total silence when I write. Even instrumental pieces are kinda distracting for me.

• Lana

January 8, 2022 at 1:39 am

I need natural sounds, like from nature.

• Emily Concannon

January 9, 2022 at 9:22 am

Ooh mostly in the morning 🙂 but night time is more creative fiction

• TzeLin Sam

Organizer
      January 9, 2022 at 11:40 pm

You must be a morning person! 🙂

• Glenn Stok

January 10, 2022 at 7:59 am

I have no specific rule for when I write. Inspiration hits me at all odd times throughout the day. But generally, I seem to get more energy to sit down and write late in the afternoon.

The most important thing is that I write snippets of notes when I think of something and need to remember it for working on later. That can happen any time, even in the middle of the night when I wake up with an idea. And the only way to get back to sleep is to take a moment to type my thoughts into my phone.

• Graciela Sills

January 10, 2022 at 4:51 pm

I type notes on my phone, too! Sometimes I leave them in limbo for too long, though, and they don’t make any sense to me when I revisit them. I end up wondering what my past self was thinking.

• Glenn Stok

January 11, 2022 at 11:06 am

That’s so funny because I have the same problem! Too many times, I can’t make heads or tails of what my cryptic notes were all about when I wrote them. So, I try to keep that in mind when I write them and leave at least enough detail that I think will make sense when I read it days or weeks later.

• Amanda

January 10, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Hi Graciela! I typically write when I’m alone and that is usually during the day between 9-3 pm. But I have been known to stay awake at night and write whatever is on my heart. It helps me sleep sometimes.