Getting to know you!

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
    January 20, 2022 at 1:15 pm

Hi, I’m Julia! I live in Montreal. I have ADHD. And I love cross-country skiing.

• Judean Derby

January 20, 2022 at 3:54 pm

Hi! I’m Judy. I live in rural Oklahoma and just retired. But I started writing years ago, and even self-published on KDP. Boy, that went no where! So I was happy to find Simily and Medium and share some old stuff and new writing. The joy is back!

My youngest son lives at home with me, showing no inclination to get married at this point in his life. He’s just a big kid really, but great at computers and loves his job at the bank and his 9 cats! (It gives me extra writing material!)

I haven’t done much reading on Simily yet. Can someone send me a few pieces of mystery, sci-fi or dystopian writing? I love to read those genres the most.

Looking forward to getting to know more of you on here.

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 21, 2022 at 9:59 am

Nice to meet you Judy!

I think that to self-publish and be successful, you usually need to build your audience first, which is hard work, but you are in the right spot! You should also check out foundinmyjournal.com (the Medium pub I edit for). We are in the process of branching out as a publication to include e-publishing and traditional print publishing. We consider ourselves an author’s collective and want to publish anthologies etc. from our writers (and of course share royalties). We are still in the planning stages but you can follow our free newsletter for updates if you like: https://foundinmyjournal.substack.com/

Oh and I write a lot of Sci-Fi and Dystopian. I haven’t shared much of it here yet, but I will be doing that soon!

• Glenn

January 20, 2022 at 6:23 pm

Hi, I’m Glenn! I live in the Washington, DC area, and I started posting my writing online about two months ago. I have 7-year-old twins which keep my wife and I very busy!

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 21, 2022 at 10:00 am

Hi Glenn! I’ve got two kiddos (5 and 3) that keep us pretty busy too, especially during this pandemic! Nice to see other parents in the thick of it here!

• Glenn

January 22, 2022 at 8:17 am

I know right. It feels like the pandemic maxes out the difficulty of every activity.

• Dawn Lamond

January 20, 2022 at 9:45 pm

‘ello! 🙂

3 things huh? Let’s see…

1. My husband and I have been playing in Dungeons and Dragons campaigns for the last 10 years and I just started my own campaign in the midst of the lockdown January 2021

2. I just started writing on Medium November of last year and I’m here to focus more on my fiction writing side, short stories and more 🙂

3. I’m a Shambhala Reiki practitioner and love to read the Tarot for insights into my life as well as the lives of characters in my stories! 😀

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 21, 2022 at 10:02 am

Hi! Nice to meet you Dawn! That sounds really fun. I love playing games with my husband too. We do mostly PC games and board games though. We do have a couple of roll-playing board games that are fun though.

• Dawn Lamond

January 21, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Nice! Yes, my hubby and I were board gamers before we got into d&d. The great thing about Dungeons and Dragons is you can still play with people when you only have voice contact! 😀 Yay technology 🙂

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
          January 21, 2022 at 12:48 pm

Yay technology indeed! Great for recent events, eh?!

• Chloe Longstreet

January 21, 2022 at 9:35 am

Hi, I’m Chloe. I live in New Hampshire. I’ve been writing since I was six. In addition to fiction, I also write articles on marketing for small businesses and creators.

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 21, 2022 at 10:05 am

Hi Chloe! I love your name; it’s my favourite and the name I gave to my daughter. Nice to meet you!

• myania rankins

January 21, 2022 at 9:39 am

ello! my name is Myania, I live in Chicago and I’m a workaholic (by choice? we don’t know yet..) nice to meet all of you! 🙂

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 21, 2022 at 10:06 am

Hi Myania! Nice to meet you. I used to live in Illinois too (Urbana-Champaign) and miss it!

• myania rankins

January 22, 2022 at 6:43 pm

sweet! nice to meet a fellow Illinoisan! where do you live now? I’m sure it’s a lot warmer than here, especially now!

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
          January 22, 2022 at 6:58 pm

I’m in Montreal now, so it’s probably colder haha. It’s been wicked cold here lately!

• myania rankins

January 22, 2022 at 7:25 pm

ohhh, yikes…wishing you nothing but warmth! it really has, trips to the store are so painful now.

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
              January 23, 2022 at 8:23 am

Fingers crossed we both get some warmer weather soon!

• Glenn Stok

January 21, 2022 at 10:20 am

Hi Julia. This “Getting to know you!” discussion is a great idea. Three things about me:

I’m retired from a career developing telephone system software. Prior to that I was a computer systems analyst for two major corporations.

Since 2009 I’ve published hundreds of articles online with HubPages, where I earn from ad revenue. I also started writing on Medium a few years ago, but noticed the content on that platform doesn’t continue to earn unless we keep publishing. With HubPages, Google keeps sending traffic to old articles.

I tend to write articles related to science, philosophy, relationships, and product reviews. But with Simily, I’m limiting my content to experimental content here, such as poetry and non-fiction, since I’m not certain of its future as long as their bugs aren’t being fixed.

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 21, 2022 at 10:26 am

Very cool. You have been inspiring me to check out HubPages, since I met you here. As for the bugs, Medium seems to be working out despite many ongoing bugs. What I like about Simily is that they are accessible and interested in improving all that. Growing pains. We shall see what happens, but I am happy to be along for the ride. It’s a good place for poetry as it pays for view instead of reading time. My poetry on Medium doesn’t earn much by nature of the length.

• Glenn Stok

January 21, 2022 at 12:17 pm

Julia, I was referring to bugs in Simily, not Medium. Sorry if that was confusing. Medium is working out well for me, but not as well as HubPages. HubPages is best because the audience is unlimited due to organic traffic. Poetry has always been a difficult thing to monetize. But for some reason, I’m noticing my one poem here on Simily is getting views when my other posts are struggling. It’s all experimental for me here.

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
          January 21, 2022 at 12:23 pm

Oh I got that! My point was that Medium is going strong and it is and has always been very buggy (especially the app), so things seem to be able to take off despite the bugs, so perhaps Simily will do the same. It doesn’t hurt for Medium of course that it was founded by the Twitter founder. Only time will tell!

• Glenn Stok

January 21, 2022 at 12:29 pm

Yes, I noticed that problem with Medium’s app.

• Borba de Souza

January 22, 2022 at 4:17 pm

It is is a pleasure to find all of you here!

My name is Levi Borba (here writing as Borba de Souza). On Medium (https://leviborba.medium.com/) I write about business and economics. Here on Simily I plan to write mostly about historical fiction and non-fiction.

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 22, 2022 at 7:03 pm

I love reading historical fiction! I’m terrible at writing it because I get really obsessed with whether or not I get details right–to the point it is prohibitive. But I’m writing a short piece right now for a Vocal contest that is sort of historical fiction. I figure if I keep it limited in its scope, I can manage. I look forward to reading your stuff!

• R B

January 22, 2022 at 10:31 pm

Hey, I’m Raj and I recently decided to publish my writing on Medium back in December. I am 30 and I am from Vancouver, BC. If I’m not writing, I can usually be found reading. I write a mix of fiction and non-fiction. I’m looking froward to connecting with writers on here!

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 23, 2022 at 8:22 am

Hello fellow Canadian!

• Written Mastery

January 26, 2022 at 10:37 am

Hi,

I’m WrittenMastery. Lover of tea, Comic books and writing

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 26, 2022 at 11:13 am

Nice to meet you! I too love tea (and tisane)!

• Kay Barrett

January 29, 2022 at 10:18 am

Hello! My name is Kay. It’s lovely to connect with others on the same path! Here are my three things:

1. I’m American, but currently live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

2. My fave topics to write about are books, film, and random pop culture tidbits.

3. I went to the same high school as Reese Witherspoon & V.E. Schwab.

I’d to connect with other people into books & film! Please comment if that’s you, so we can follow one another 🙂

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 29, 2022 at 10:34 am

Nice to meet you Kay! I occasionally write about film, TV, pop culture and books, and I enjoy reading about that stuff (if it is about something I watch or read). I’ll follow you! As for me, you’ll mostly find poetry and fiction (mostly speculative) on my profile here. I am writing a book though! You can check out my profile and see if it interests you. I’ll let you decide if you want to follow along or not. Oh, and I recently did a DNA test and found out that some of my ancestors hail from the Edinburgh area (I previously thought that side of the family was all Irish). Anyways, I’ve always wanted to visit Scotland. It just looks so incredibly majestic.

• Kay Barrett

January 29, 2022 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for the follow! I love speculative fic, so I’ll definitely follow you back. I can confirm that Edinburgh is gorgeous. When you do make it over here, you should tell the locals about your background! They’re super nice to tourists here and would love that fun fact about you.

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
          January 30, 2022 at 8:44 am

Thanks! And now I want to go to Scotland even more! It’s always nice when locals are welcoming to tourists.

• Leah-Ashley McCauley

January 29, 2022 at 4:15 pm

Hello all! I’m Leah-Ashley!

I’m extremely introverted but looking to change that and share more of my writing. I recently moved back to Portland, Oregon after living in North Carolina for six years. I don’t remember how but I taught myself how to read and write at the age of 2 lol and I am allergic to pineapples(unfortunately)

• Leah-Ashley McCauley

January 29, 2022 at 4:17 pm

Hello all! I’m Leah-Ashley!

I’m extremely introverted but looking to change that and share more of my writing. I recently moved back to Portland, Oregon after living in North Carolina for six years. I don’t remember how but I taught myself how to read and write at the age of 2 lol and I am allergic to pineapples(unfortunately)

Looking forward to sharing my stories on here and meeting my fellow writers!

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      January 30, 2022 at 8:42 am

You were a precocious reader, wow! My almost 6 year old can’t read yet. Nice to meet you!

• Attila Vago

February 3, 2022 at 10:29 am

Hi, I’m Attila from Ireland 🇮🇪, and yeah, I know I have a cool name! 😂

I am an 8 year old Medium veteran, doing pretty well over there, but joined Simily because as a software engineer I am curious of this platform’s journey. For all intents and purposes, it’s a Medium clone but built on top of WordPress, which is super intriguing.

Besides writing, I spend my time listening to vinyl records, playing with Lego and trying out new beers! 🍺

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      February 3, 2022 at 10:45 am

Welcome, Attila! I think it’s a bit more social than Medium, and in addition, it has more of a creative writing focus. From my experience, creative writing doesn’t do well on Medium, so Simily is filling a much-needed niche there. Also, being paid for outside views (at least for now) is quite nice.

• Chloe Longstreet

February 8, 2022 at 7:00 am

I have a strong feeling they will eventually regret building this site on WordPress. Eventually they are going to have to move it if they want to grow it and doing so is going to be a nightmare.

• Margaret Sefton

February 3, 2022 at 2:28 pm

Hello everyone! I joined Medium late last November though I did not start posting in earnest until December. I heard about Similiy via an article on Medium and so, I decided to check it out! I’m glad I did. I do like the focus on fiction and memoir here and that it is easy for me to find content I want to read. I write fiction, mostly flash fiction, which means stories of no more than 1,000 words. I am beginning work on a novel-in-flash and it would be cool if there was a way to publish serially somehow. I hope everyone is doing well. —Margaret

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
      February 3, 2022 at 2:34 pm

Glad you are here Margaret! You can publish in serial here by including chapter links before and after each piece (that reroute you to the other chapters). Like this (but with links):

Chapter 1: ________

Chapter 2: ________

Chapter 3:

Here you typed the third chapter.

Chapter 4: ________

etc.

Hopefully, they will eventually facilitate that better, but for now, that is a workaround I see people using that seems to work just fine.

• Margaret Sefton

February 3, 2022 at 2:36 pm

Thank you so much, Julia! Ok, I’m excited to do that. Cheers.

Margaret

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
          February 3, 2022 at 2:39 pm

No problem!

• Margaret Sefton

February 3, 2022 at 2:50 pm

And sorry for my misspelling of Simily above! Oopsies.

• Julia Marsiglio

Organizer
              February 3, 2022 at 2:56 pm

I didn’t even notice! Spelling is not my forte, haha. Thank goodness for spellcheck or I’d be in trouble.

Page 1 of 2