Single Space?

• Posted by Sheila Stowers on January 30, 2022 at 9:10 am

Has anyone figured out how to single space without having to fight to keep it single-spaced? I know that hitting shift+enter will single space the line, but then it reverts to double-space when I publish it. If I go back and edit, I can sometimes get it to stay single-spaced, but it requires me to fight with it. I just edited a poem 30 times or so and still couldn’t get it exactly how I wanted it. Does anyone have a fix?

Julia Marsiglio replied 2 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Glenn Stok

February 1, 2022 at 11:13 pm

Hi Sheila. I posted a poem here and didn’t have any trouble single-spacing the lines. But I’m using a Mac. I know someone else who had the same problem you describe with a Windows PC. So I wonder if that’s the problem. Did you try using alt-enter?

• Sheila Stowers

February 2, 2022 at 6:42 am

I used shift+enter, which worked until I published it. Then most of the lines reverted to double-space (most, but not all–which is the weirdest part). But I think I’ve figured it out. If I type the whole poem in, rather than copying and pasting from Word, it stays single-spaced.

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Much appreciated!

• Julia Marsiglio

February 2, 2022 at 10:03 am

I had that issue, but switching browsers sorted it for me.

• Sheila Stowers

February 2, 2022 at 5:49 pm

I may try that–I’ve been using Microsoft Edge. I’ll try Chrome next time.

• Julia Marsiglio

February 3, 2022 at 6:49 am

Funny. I was using Chrome and switched to Edge and it solved the issue. But yeah, give it a try. Or maybe you have to paste it and publish it in one browser and then edit it in another.

• Glenn Stok

February 2, 2022 at 9:04 am

Thanks for that additional information, Sheila. I use Word too. And I copy and paste. That works well on HubPages and Medium, which handle Word formatting properly. But Simily doesn’t render all Word structures properly.

Word has two different types of “soft returns” which are supposed to make a new line without extra spacing, but Simily doesn’t render both types as it should, That’s why some work and some don’t.