Our sci-fi projects outside Simily.

• Our sci-fi projects outside Simily.

Posted by Olga Makarova on October 30, 2021 at 9:34 am

Simily publishes only short stories for now. Do you have something that doesn’t fit the format, like novels, comics, games maybe? Share away!

Alex Emerson replied 2 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Olga Makarova

Organizer
    October 30, 2021 at 9:36 am

I’ll begin.

I have a webcomic – Gifts of wandering icegiftscomic.com

It’s a sci-fi story about ancient things people find in melting icebergs.

• S.C. Mae

October 31, 2021 at 1:19 am

It’s got a very cool look. I’ve bookmarked so I can give it a proper read 😊

• Alex Emerson

October 30, 2021 at 10:30 am

That description makes me think of The Thing in all the best ways.

• Olga Makarova

Organizer
      October 30, 2021 at 11:04 am

No, it’s not horror. The things in question are remains of a pre-apocalypse civilization: everything from toys to machines, from strange frozen pets to deadly diseases. The characters are trying to piece it all together and understand what happened.

• Alex Emerson

October 31, 2021 at 7:44 am

On interesting. It’s more of an anthropology thing then. I like that.

• Alex Emerson

October 30, 2021 at 10:32 am

I have a few novels I’ve written for which I am querying agents. One would fall under the scifi category of cyberpunk. It’s kind of Johnny Mnemonic meets Baby Driver meets Escape from New York. It’s short for a novel – 60k words – but that’s intentional, as I want it to feel really frenetic, especially as it’s told in first person present tense.

• Olga Makarova

Organizer
      October 30, 2021 at 11:06 am

Cyberpunk! Nice 🙂 Do you like your cyberpunk modern or retrofuturistic?

• Alex Emerson

October 31, 2021 at 7:45 am

I like reading both; this one is more modern. Takes place in a near future, after a global war.

• S.C. Mae

October 31, 2021 at 1:23 am

Sounds cool. I have absolutely no actual evidence to back this up but anecdotally most of the cyberpunk novels I see do seem to be on the shorter side

• S.C. Mae

October 31, 2021 at 1:17 am

I have a 4-book series called Reunion, featuring Jazz Healy, a young woman adventuring across the galaxy in search of her lost father while trying to avoid her criminal kingpin mother. On the way she has to deal with stowaways, tech cultists, scheming aristocrats, and more! Very space opera 😀

Book 1, Miltan Epsilon, is free in electronic format and the final book in the series, Bil’Tross, drops on November 2nd. I’ve been thinking about serializing Miltan Epsilon here but I’m not sure if that’ll work so well. Here’s a universal link if anyone’s interested in taking a peek: https://books2read.com/miltanepsilon

And here’s a link to the US Kindle series page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09436J4JD

Currently I’m working on a new series featuring Lincoln Reilly, a sometimes-PI/definite ex-spy who keeps finding himself unwillingly caught up in galactic intrigue. Book 1, Spider’s Hub, is drafted and sitting in a virtual drawer for a few months before I start edits, and I’m partway into the first draft of the second book, The Votack Rebellion.

Aside from those, well, it’s a case of too many ideas too little time. There’s a multiverse-type series that’s been bubbling away in the back of my head for the better part of a decade but which I haven’t gotten around to yet, as well as a frontier space series, a collapsed empire series, and more. But I’ll stop there otherwise I might never stop at all! 🙂

EDIT: Sorry about the random preview box below! Not sure how to get rid of it without removing the kindle link