Group Collab Piece

• Group Collab Piece

Posted by Evan Bond on January 4, 2022 at 11:20 am

Hello!

I had an idea for a group collab piece. Basically, it would work like this. We all discuss a topic, theme, or prompt. One person starts by writing part 1. Then the next writer takes over from where they left off. And so on.

We would need to decide ahead of time who will take what part that way we can all post the stories at the same time and label them part 1, part 2, part 3, etc. And link to the full list of stories.

If anyone has anything they’d like to add or a process you think we should change, let me know! I’d love to get started on this project.

Cecilia Henry replied 2 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Brittany Johnson

January 4, 2022 at 12:31 pm

Do you have an idea for our first topic/theme/prompt?

• Evan Bond

Organizer
      January 4, 2022 at 1:57 pm

I can look around for some writing prompt inspiration. To go over a previous point, should we decide on a genre before hand or let every person in the collaboration decide what genre they will write their individual story in?

• Brittany Johnson

January 4, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Cool. I’d be fine starting with a genre. I’m still down with horror/thriller/suspense or dark fiction kind of thing!

• Evan Bond

Organizer
          January 4, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Let me play around with writing up a guideline for how this collab will work so we’re all on the same page. I’ll post it here later on and we can make changes from there!

• Brittany Johnson

January 4, 2022 at 4:16 pm

Sounds good. đź‘Ť

• Evan Bond

Organizer
              January 4, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Ok, let me know if this all sounds good.

We’ll start by picking a topic/theme/prompt
              First person will write the beginning. Should we create a rough word count goal or let everyone do what feels right?
              Each person can decide what genre they will write their part in.
              We’ll decide up front the order of writers so we can link to the next story in the series.
              Did I miss anything?

• Brittany Johnson

January 5, 2022 at 10:04 pm

I think that all sounds great. I’d love a loose word count if that’s alright with everyone. But I’m good with whatever!

• Evan Bond

Organizer
              January 6, 2022 at 1:13 pm

Great! Another thought I had. Should we all write it at relatively the same time before we post the stories. Or should the first person just post theirs and tag the next person to continue the story on their page. We could do either that or we all share a googledoc or something and each person posts the full story with each person’s part defined in the story. If that makes sense?

Example:

Part 1 [Title] Written by [Author|

[Story]

Part 2 [Title] Written by [Author]

and so on. Am I over explaining? lol

• Adam Dodds-Wade

January 6, 2022 at 4:22 pm

I don’t know about genre hopping for one story. I think perhaps the first collab might work better for trial and error by just trying to pick a tone to start with. Reason being that genre hopping might make it hard to any kind of plot/ character progression because each genre function on different tropes and beats. I’m not sure readers would enjoy a story so disjointed in has no satisfying begining, middle and end. A separate but fun exercise might be to take a public domain story or work that can be spoofed in different genres by different authors and post them all at once.

I do think a minimum word count target would work better. I like the idea of a Google Doc or something so we can make sure there is that sense of story arc so readers don’t feel cheated. When it comes to posting, we can post one part a week, promote it like crazy to maximize exposure.

• Evan Bond

Organizer
      January 6, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Those are really great points. I like that. Especially posting them once a week and promoting them. I like that a lot.

• Sidra Ramay

January 7, 2022 at 1:54 am

Sounds great đź‘Ť

• Adam Dodds-Wade

January 11, 2022 at 3:39 pm

Goodness, been sick and forgot about this. But I am super excited for it since I’m feeling better and itching for writing challenges.

• Evan Bond

Organizer
      January 11, 2022 at 3:44 pm

No worries! Hope you’re feeling better. We’ve been gathering thoughts and I’ll be issuing the first official collab soon!

• Cecilia Henry

February 16, 2022 at 11:53 am

I love this idea, sounds really entertaining!